Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Declaration as a Moral Statement

A very long time ago now, I started a series of articles to examine various aspects of the declaration of Zambia a Christian nation. As you may have noticed, things have not gone as planned but, I can at least say that the next two posts are ready. So I am pretty sure that by the end of September I will finally be done and ready to finish the other series on sex education. Then prayerfully I will look at some issues in economics and finance. God willing that is.

So what is the declaration as a moral statement about? Two things, the first an announcement that in Zambia people are to adhere to the moral standards of the Bible and that the state will back the enforcement of these moral standards.

So what are the objections to this? In this case I use an objectors own words to express the negatives, when Christians use political power to legislate thier values they are acting as tyrants.

What about the pros? I believe that every society is free to organize itself according to the principles that it chooses. Because of the fact that one hundred percent consensus is not possible the will of the majority is used as a substitute. If the majority of a society decides to make Christian standards law, I believe that they are within their rights.

I however, have a difficulty with branding such civil action as Christian, such action is not mandated by the Bible and calling such action Christian gives the impression that the action is mandated by the Christian religion which it is not. I think this is a problem with regards to personal witness as those we are witnessing to may get the mistaken impression that Christian religion believes in advancing its interests by coercion.

Brief I know but it is a single blog post perhaps through the comments we can advance the discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment