Friday, October 28, 2011

Ni Friday, Tulenwa




I wonder what your reaction to the last post was. Was it a feeling of elation? “At last, I can not now this guilt fee?”Was it indifference? Or was it concern? You have always known dinking in and of itself wasn’t sinful and yet feel the matter is sensitive and it is better to err on the side of caution.

I will share my feelings about the post. Anxiety. I was concerned that some people would use the post as a license for abuse. I could picture a situation where after reading the post someone might rush to breakpoint (or wherever “it happens” these days) and with three shouts of hallelujah order seven tequilas. I have never drunk tequila I hope seven tequilas is excessive.

So in light of my anxieties allow me to be explicit about what the last post does not allow for.

1)      The BIBLE (and that means God) does not support under any circumstances the “Tulenwa lelo” approach to drinking. Drinking to get drunk is a sin. Why do I say this? Firstly drunkenness is a sin Galatians 5:21. Secondly, the very desire to participate in sinful behavior in sin Mathew 5:21-30.

2)      Participating in a drinking culture that promotes wildness or generally unchristian behavior is strictly forbidden. 1 Peter 4:3, Galatians 5:21. So no will drinking parties, notorious bars, “happening” joints or even some kitchen parties for you Christian.

3)      Routinely “overdoing it” is an indicator that you are not Christian. Don’t take my word for it. Galatians 5:21.

4)      Harassing Christians who are against drinking by insisting on the right to drink is strictly forbidden. You may choose an appropriate time to calmly discuss the matter, but the Bible says the unity is more valuable than your Mosi. Romans 14.

5)      If you suspect that your drinking would cause a major disturbance in the church or cause the immature to misunderstand you and indulge in drunkenness, by all means don’t drink. If you did you might be destroying what God is building and God is against that. Romans 14 (I will have to add a nuance to this in my next post)

6)      On drinking buddies. Never forget bad associations ruin useful habits. Foolishness spreads. Be wise.

7)      The Bible lets us know that to love the world (the rebellious way of life that is against God) is to hate God. If your drink begins to draw you into thought patterns, speech patterns or behaviors that are unchristian you need to repent.

Having said that there is still a case for moderate drinking, the only thing is a new Christian culture will need to be built to accommodate it. I hope to discuss this more in my next post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment